Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recipe Trial: Mini Pizzas with Arugula, Peppers & Prosciutto

Last weekend I tried my hand at making these cute little pizza's.

The recipe was in the latest Fine Cooking magazine (I have linked it to the title above). It is an Ellie Krieger recipe so you know they are healthy and they ended up being quite delicious. A lot of the ingredients I picked up at Trader Joe's and the rest was from our normal shopping spot - Albertsons. 




I started off the recipe by forgoing the jarred Roasted Red Peppers that it called for and roasted my own! That was a new experience for me and it was really fun. Once that was complete I began preparing the pizza sauce. I am particular to garlic, so like I do with most recipes, I added more then what was called for (3-4 cloves, instead of 2).  I was worried to use the whole tsp. of oregano (it is on the strong side) but it tasted great with it all in there. I also suggest using the San Marzano whole tomatoes, they have such a great flavor.




When the sauce was done I chopped up all the topping ingredients. Arugula is wonderful, it has a nice spice - I love it in salads. The pepper was even better then jarred. It goes to show that doing what you can at home is far superior then buying store foods. There was not a lot of time put into roasting the peppers and they were so yummy! 




The dough was a Trader Joe purchase. It can be found in their refrigerated area. They have both the whole wheat and traditional. I stuck with the recipe and picked up the whole wheat. It did take a little longer to "relax" then it says in the recipe and definitely longer then what the packaging said. I had set it out before I was even ready to begin. When I had it on the counter while I was prepping everything else, it wasn't doing a thing. Brandon suggested I put it in the oven (off) with the oven light on. This helped a lot. All in all it took about an hour and a half to get it to where it should be. I weighed the dough balls out, each was between 1.5oz to 2oz. If I had been really precise I would have been able to get more than 12 rounds out of a 1lb bag (which is what this was). 




Pile it on!!! Sauce - Arugula (lots of it, it wilts down) - Peppers - Prosciutto - Mozzarella - Parmesan. I used parchment so there would be less to clean but the heat would still get to the dough to give it crunch. I used PAM Olive Oil to cover the parchment - can't forget the oil!




20 minutes later (baking time) a delicious lunch! All in all the prep and cooking time was a little over an hour (not counting the rest period for the dough).

No comments: